Pages

Friday 25 June 2010

Things I'm going to miss: What-in-the-world moments

If you leave your country, chances are there are going to be a lot of things that take you by surprise--no, that are veritable jaw-droppers. Like the first time you see a family of five sharing a single motorbike. Or when your sweet little host grandma digs around in her nose with her finger while you are talking to her as if it is no problem (it is, in fact, no problem). Or four people on two bicycles pedalling serenely down the road, all holding hands. Or when your extended host family offers you raw pork blood at a party. Or when you first realize that if it ever became necessary, you could indeed buy live bunnies and snakes by the side of the road. Or pussycats.


With a regular supply of such moments, I've become rather addicted, and I predict serious withdrawal when I return to the States.

I made a facebook album, "Visual metaphors for culture shock" in an attempt to evoke some of the feelings such moments provoke. Unfortunately, these moments are difficult to capture with stills, but I was lucky enough to find a lovely video that sums it up perfectly.


I now present to you the finest in Vietnamese advertising. Vinamilk: It's not just milk. It's Happiness.





I suggest you watch this with sound if at all possible. (This video can also be found here.)

4 comments:

  1. Hannah, do they really use English in their commercials? I love that final picture!

    When you come home, we'll have to create some surreal moments every now and then to ease the withdrawal, or perhaps you'll find the US surreal by then.

    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, whoever posted it on Youtube added the English. And yes, I think the US might be a bit surreal by the time I return. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We now use lobsters instead of telephones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! funny video!

    ReplyDelete