Pages

Tuesday 13 January 2009

First things first

You may wonder why, almost halfway through my year in Vietnam, I am just now starting a blog. The answer is simple and timeless: peer pressure.

Everyone is doing it. And now it's my turn to join the lemming crowd. But first things first; just because I wasn't blogging before doesn't mean I wasn't thinking before or writing about what I was thinking. Here is the first mass e-mail I sent back home to give all my loved ones the real scoop on what real people do in the very real country of Vietnam:


"So a funny thing happened in Asia the other day..." Vol. 1 Ed. 1, 1 Sept. 2008

On Friday Rosabeth and I went to the zoo. It was independence day weekend, so many families were out enjoying the park and the lake that surrounds the zoo. All of a sudden, as we were crossing the bridge over the lake, we saw what looked like giant plastic gerbil balls floating in the lake---with children inside of them!!!

We drew closer in order to investigate...and sure enough, that's exactly what they were: giant plastic inflatable balls with children inside of them, floating in the lake. It looked like a childhood dream of mine come true. Attached is a picture for your viewing pleasure.


As we stared at the floating gerbil balls in disbelief, a young couple suddenly approached us, placed their children in front of us, and proceeded to take a picture. I hadn't considered myself to be one of the zoo's attractions, but apparently that's what we were. Then it dawned upon me that we, with our pasty complexions, ungainly proportions, and preposterously large eyes were quite possibly even more out of place than that poor porcupine in the cage over there. And as strange as giant plastic gerbil balls might plausibly seem to a normal person, the truly strange thing in the park that day.....was us.

I hope you have all enjoyed this edition of "A funny thing happened in Asia the other day..."
Until next time,
Peace and blessings,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment